Friday, May 1, 2009

Why I'm Here on Earth

Its been a very long time since I wondered about the reason why I'm here on Earth.

I used to think about it all the time, when i was much younger. Am I brought to this world for a reason? Or am I here just to continue the existence of my kind? Well, back then I would spend countless hours on my bed, pondering upon this question till I fell asleep. But I never knew the answer.
And after such a long time, this question just popped into my mind a couple of days back.

And I was surprised, with what I thought the answer could be, today. Maybe time has changed my a lot more than I had thought. Life has taught me so much since when I was a kid.

I guess studying in University and working for almost 2 years had changed me a lot. I was so busy i had no time to think of questioning my existance and other "trivial" matters (although it was going thru my mind quite often when i was younger).

Well, going back to the question of, "Why I'm here on Earth?".

I guess there won't be a right answer. After all, my cameo appearance on earth would be at most 85 years. The universe has been here for millions / billions of years and many lives has come and gone since life began here on this planet.

I guess the reason I was born is because I am the by product of my parents wish to have a kid. To continue my family lineage. To ensure the survival of my species. To be there to take care of my family when age has caught up with them.

Well, looking at my given answers, it doesn't really make me really motivated to be an achiever in life. I mean, if my answer to why i'm here today is right, then I guess I would be disappointed.

But if I ask myself: What do I want in my short stint in this planet?

The answer would be to impact as many people's lives as possible in a good way. While being born a Chinese makes me think about practicality and money, I always tell myself there has to be a way for me to balance all these together.

When I ask myself, today, How much have I done to make this world a better place?

My answer would be a disappointing one. I don't think that I have helped as much people as I would have liked. Even my younger, more idealistic self would agree.

I've been to busy with satisfying myself with trying to find more money (work), spending them, and literally just enjoying myself way more than helping others. I have splurged on myself more often than not on food and material goods. I've neglected saving for my own future. I've just been selfish.

I can get defensive and always just tell myself, it's okay to be selfish. It's okay to feel good spending you own money.

However, being in pursuit for more money has made me compromise on what I plan to achieve here on Earth. I've probably just wasted 3-4 years just being selfish. But if i don't enjoy now, I would leave this life regretting the fact that I've passed up on so many opportunities to have fun.

On the other hand, would I be satisfied with myself, on my deathbed, to think that throughout my life, I've only served to make myself happy?

The dilemma's of living life.

At most, the only people I have had a chance to help were my friends. Although my social circle has expanded, I doubt that I have made much of an impact in their lives.

Have i helped my family enough? No. The answer is very obvious. In fact, once i became more independant (making my own money), i feel that I have neglected them more than I have ever done in my life. I told myself it's okay to be a little selfish. There were times when my both my parents would be frustrated at the fact that I wasn't at home long enough for me to hold a decent conversation with them. Sometimes, i would come home so late that they would be alseep. And we all go our seperate ways when we leave for work the next day. While that doesn't make me feel proud, I still do my part when it comes to household chores.

And again, you see what human nature does to us? We always try to comfort ourselves by giving us excuses. We tell ourselves it okay to do/not do .... , because ....

But this a topic for another day.

I guess, I should make an effort to try and help as many people as possible. Beginning with my own social circle. I shall start offering help to my family and friends whenever I can. After all, charity begins at home, no?

For those who have managed to read till this part of my post, I thank you. Take a little time tonight, before you sleep and ponder, Why I'm here on Earth? and What are the things that would make me proud when i look back at life when I'm 80?

When you have found the answer, work towards them. And live life to the fullest.


Boodyboy, out!!!


P.s. for those who need a place to start, try reading Rick Warren's Best Seller, Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth am I Here For (I have the book, if ever you guys need to read it, I'd be glad to lend it to you)




No comments: