Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009: Annus Horibilis or Annus Mirabilis??

Hi All,

Its been another long break from writing, which i sincerely regret. But I've been too mentally caught up with lots of things that I found myself too tired and unmotivated to write. Unfortunately the spark was suddenly gone.

The new year is almost upon us and many important dates have passed us in December since my last post on the 4th. My birthday, 4 long weekends in a row in Malaysia (4 public holidays on a Friday this month), Christmas and many more important days to me passed me by.

But this post is just now about what happened this month, but rather, my review of the whole year that is about to pass.

First of all Annus Horibilis means "a disastrous or unfortunate year" while Annus Mirabilis means "wonderful year" or "year of miracles".

So how has 2009 been to me?

If i were to give it an overall rating, it would be 4.5 / 10. THat would seem like a sucky year but actually it is not as bad as it seemed. But of course everything that happened does not have an equal weightage. Something means more to me than others, hence it may affect the score even more.

Hence, yes, thing that were important for me did not fare too well whereas things number of trips / holidays i had increased significantly, but I don't deem holidays that important. Travelling has not been the most important thing in my happiness list but this year I've managed to visit Krabi for a total of 11 days (over a span of 2 trips ;-p), Bangkok for 5 days, and China for 8 days. Numerous waterfalls and visits to other states are not even included in this list. Hence, I have had the fortune of being able to "get away" from the city quite often this year. I know most people would be jealous and say I am spoilt, but the fact is that, i am grateful for what I have enjoyed in those trips, its just that holidays are that much of a big deal to me.

And yes, while I have had plenty of happy times over this year; more so than the sad days; it is the sad days that affected me more than anything else. While there are situations which i wished ended much better, these are things I really cannot control even though I myself played a part in it. And right up till today, those days still cast a cloud over my head on days when I don't feel like I'm on top of the world.

This year is coming to a close and i wish its the end of the bad days as well. I'm trying to gear myself up to having a great year ahead by trying to stay positive these few days leading to the New Year. Of course, there are still some down times, but I'm not going to let me affect my spirits for too long.

There are many things I have regretted doing this year but as much as i wish to dwell upon that I know it is better to make plans on how to solve that problem by the time 2010 comes up and running.

Also, 2009 had some highs for me, like visiting the Great Wall for the 1st time. The sights of Beijing was awesome!! So too was Krabi and Bangkok! I had friends who got married, some had kids and some having kids. I'm happy for all of them who found eternal happiness with their loved ones :-)

So, what do I predict year 2010 for me to be like? Well, it's going to be a year of late nights due to work, year to make money (from my work as well), and the year to make up for what I have lost this year (which is a lot!!)

And yes, while i said that traveling does not have a very high weightage for me, I already have my tickets booked for next year. I'll be going to Bali in January, Phuket in April and Hong Kong in September. I gues maybe somewhere along my holidays i find more happiness :-)

Anyways, I hope you guys have had a great year in 2009 and will have an even better year in year 2010!


Boodyboy, out!!!

No comments: