Sunday, March 1, 2009

Touch

After another long lay-off from the blog, I'm back! Actually, I finally have an idea of what to blog about after suffering from "blogger's block" (hey, it rhymes!!).

The sense of touch, is one of the 5 senses we humans have. Well of course, I'll argue that there are 6, but some people do not have the 6th, which is common sense ;-).

Touch, to people of the Asian culture is something that is really cherished as we have always been taught to be respectful and humble. We usually restrict or are more careful espescially when it comes to physical contact with strangers or someone of the opposite sex. This, we can always see, has been portrayed in countless Asian films.

To many Asians, me included, touch is something very unique and special. While I know that people today are more modern in their thinking and behaviour, I'm still slightly conservative when it comes to physical contact with others.

Some people will no issues hugging, kissing their friends as it is a custom in some Western countries that has been readily accepted here. I'm not saying its wrong, but I feel reserved, maybe because of this Asian mentality i still have inside of me.

I have always regarded touch as something really special and I don't really fancy hugging my friends (at least not the close ones) or accidentally brushing against strangers. Its not that I'm unfriendly but i feel that if i were to hug a person, that person should really mean something to me. But sometimes, I'm rather reserved when it comes to even had shakes as some people might have reservations as we do live in a luti ethnic country. Sometimes i dont know which stance to adopt, the really open style or the reserved style of "contact".

Yes Physical Contact means a lot to me. Even a touch of a hand, a hug, or a kiss, means the world to me. To give and receive the above actions allows me to show how much some people mean to me and vice versa. For me the usual handshake is usually reserved for acquaintances of friends which i'm not really close to. And usually among business associates as well.

I really didnt fully appreciate physical contact and realised the importance of it until about a year or two ago. Which is strange because i thought, its not a big deal. A hug is just a hug, its doesnt mean anything. When couples hold hands, they just do it because thats what other ppl do.

So yes, i realised the importance of touch, esp from the ones you are especially close to. It tells the world of how people feel towards each other. Looking at how they behave around each other will also give us clues. Just google this subject up, and you will find lots of articles and research about physical behaviour of people with another person. There are even studies on how different kisses mean to people. Even the way people hold each other's hands tells a story.

And while I maybe reserved when it comes to contact with people i'm not that close, that doesnt mean i dont yearn for them. handshakes, Hugs, Kisses, eye contact, smiles, mean the world to me. I crave to have those as often as i can everyday in my life. Sometimes i feel that even a simple touch, or eye contact is enough to get me buzzing and energetic.

Yes, eariler in my previous posts, i have mentioned words are important to me. So is touch. I guess in the end i will go through all the other 3 senses as well, hahaha! There are no "unimportant" senses. All are equally useful to us.

Well, i think thats it for tonight. I shall leave you with the lyrics of the song, "Sometimes when we touch". Enjoy!



You ask me if I love you and I choke on my reply
I’d rather hurt you honestly than mislead you with a lie
And who am I to judge you on what you say or do
I’m only just beginning to see the real you
And sometimes when we touch
The honesty’s too much and I have to close my eyes and hide
I wanna hold you till I die
Till we both break down and cry
I want to hold you till the fear in me subsides
Romance and all it’s strategy leaves me battling with my pride
But through the insecurity some tenderness survives
I’m just another writer, still trapped within my truths
A hesitant prize fighter still trapped within my youth
And sometimes when we touch
The honesty’s too much and I have to close my eyes and hide
I wanna hold you till I die
Till we both break down and cry
I want to hold you till the fear in me subsides
At times I’d like to break you and drag you to your knees
At times I’d like to break through and hold you endlessly
At times I understand you and I know how hard you’ve tried
I’ve watch while love commands you
And I’ve watched love pass you by
At times I think we’re drifters, still searching for a friend
A brother or a sister, but then the passion flares again
And sometimes when we touch
The honesty’s too much and I have to close my eyes and hide
I wanna hold you till I dieTill we both break down and cry
I want to hold you till the fear in me subsides


Boodyboy, out!!

No comments: