Tuesday, June 23, 2009

SImple Thai Phrases which I learnt throughout my 3 Trips to Thailand this year

Hi Everyone once again,

Simple words or terms I learnt while in Thailand. Yes I've been there 3 times alone this year. Twice to Krabi (February and May) and Bangkok, just last week. Good for going around. Though more and more Thais in touristy areas can understand simple english. Some of them smile or looked impress when u can use a few words of Thai in your conversation





Sawadeeka (kap) - Hello. Its a general greeting, can be used during anytime of day. I dont think there is a term for good morning, afternoon and etc (please do correct me if I'm wrong). The words in Brackets shows the pronunciation for females.


Kun Thai - Thai national / citizen


Farang - Foreigner / Toursists


Tau Rai? - How much?

Mai Dai - Cannot (Me and my sis will have a good time laughing over this phrase)

Kiep Tan - Calling for the Bill

Kap Khun Ka (Krap) - Thank You

Moo - Pork (I know... weird isn't it? SO beef is Oink? LOL! I dont know what beef in Thai is though)

Goong - Prawn. I.e. Tom Yam goong

Kai - Chicken

Talay - Seafood. E.g. Pad Thai Talay

Pad Thai - Fried Flat Noodles Thai Style

Khao - Rice

Tom Yum - Duh.... This also need to ask?

Tub Tip Krop - Red Rubies dessert

Soi - Little streets or Lorong

Suvarnabhumi Airport is Pronounced as Soo Wanna Poom

BTS - the Monorail train system that run above ground in Bangkok

MRT - The Subway system in bangkok

Khlongs - Rivers (Bangkok is built around the famous Chao Phraya River)

Wat - Temple. E.g. Wat Arun, Wat Pho

Rak - Love

Sabye - Good.

Sabye Sabye - very good or best

Tuk Tuk - Dangerous flimsy looking bikes that has been modified to pick up passengers. Found almost everywhere in Thailand. Does not have a meter.

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Please do not hesitate to add in more if you know more.

Will probably update this as i think of them.


Boodyboy, out!!!

3 comments:

* ViRuS * said...

In addition to ur lists:

Cin Cin - pretty
Kin Khao - eat rice
Seap Lai- delicious

Speakeasy-thai said...

cow is rice
dum is black
moo is pig
dude is suck
guy is chichen
wan kerd is birthday
pee is friend
poo is person
meow is cat
ma is dog
pet is duck
rot is car
maw fun is dentist
p.s.Beef is nua
from Speakeasy-thai.com

Boodyboy said...

Thanks Virus and Speakeasy!
And welcome to my humble blog
Cheers!
:-)