Sunday, October 25, 2009

Movie Review: 500 Days of Summer



Finally got a chance to catch this movie a few days back. This movie is not shown in all cinemas, currently only available at TGV KLCC. Why this is the case, I really don't know. Maybe its the distributorship issue.

Which is such a waste because I think this is one of the best movies I've seen this year if not the best. I'm really torn between this movie and Disney's Up.

THe genre for this movie is romance/comedy. While I agree with the comedy part, i dont think the romance part does it justice. I think its more than just romance. Its a depiction of the roller coaster of emotions a person goes through in a relationship. I would call it relationship/comedy instead.

Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey Deschanel are great in this movie as the lead characters. Great chemistry between the both of them. While you watch the movie, you can't help but be totally engrossed in it. And the weird thing is, I actually feel that the stuff that has happened to him is somehow relevant to all of us. I think somehow, it a realistic overview of how love is like.

Here is a short synopsis from the IMDB website:

"After it looks as if she's left his life for good this time, Tom Hansen reflects back on the just over one year that he knew Summer Finn. Despite being physically average in almost every respect, Summer had always attracted the attention of men, Tom included. For Tom, it was love at first sight when she walked into the greeting card company where he worked, she was the new administrative assistant. Soon, Tom knew that Summer was the woman with whom he wanted to spend the rest of his life. Although Summer did not believe in relationships or boyfriends - in her assertion, real life will always ultimately get in the way - Tom and Summer became more than just friends. Through the trials and tribulations of Tom and Summer's so-called relationship, Tom could always count on the advice of his two best friends, McKenzie and Paul. However, it is Tom's adolescent sister, Rachel, who is his voice of reason. After all is said and done, Tom is the one who ultimately has to make the choice to listen or not."

The movie had some really laugh out loud moments. I cant remember the last time i laughed this loud to a funny scene in the movie, but I guess in our daily lives, we mix the good, funny and bad days together.

Below is the trailer to the movie :-)





I really loved the music in the song. It sets up the mood of the scene to get us into it.

No wonder this movie has been highly regarded in movie festivals and also in countries which it has opened in.

Would I catch this movie again? Definitely! My score? 9/10

GO catch this movie before it goes off the screen!


Boodyboy, out!!!

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I totally agree :) Too bad it's not being promoted enough because it's an 'indie' movie.

-Ryan.