Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Around the world in 30 minutes

I was feeling kinda bored at work today reading all the stuff i was required to read. And I do have a lot to read, almost everyday i spend about 75% of my time reading and trying to absorb as much as I can before I hit the ground running.

And guess what i did when i decided to take a break?

Yes. Read some more.

I visited one of my favourite travel websites Wikitravel.com and wanted to look at some articles of tourist destinations.

But as I was thinking which pages I should visit, I realized that I’ve already read all about the places I wanted to see on this site.

Then on the left side navigation bar, there is a random page link. I was curious where the site would take me and I was off too explore a random spot in the world.

Some of the random pages didn’t contain any information at all, except for its location. But here are 2 that caught my eye as it has a pretty complete travel guide.

*****************************

The 1st place of interest was the island of Zealand. No not part of New Zealand (that was my initial thought as well). The island of Zealand is actually one of the islands that make up Denmark. It is the largest island in Denmark and is home to its capital, Copenhagen.

This island of Zealand is one of the 100 largest islands in the world, and fable has it that it was carved out of Sweden. While is it a large island, it is pretty flat with plenty of rolling hills. The highest point of the island is only 126m.




What caught my eye was there are the sights in Zealand. One could visit old Castles, tall white cliffs by the sea, discovering the world of Vikings and also canoeing or kayaking along. Canoeing there sounds like a very interesting proposition thanks to its cool weather and the Susaen river, which cuts right thru the middle of the island. Sounds like a good way to spend quality time with friends 

Seems like a great place to visit in April / May, hehehe


************************************

The 2nd place random place that had a decent travel guide was the village of Merzouga. Merzouga is a village in the Sahara Desert in Morocco, on the edge of Erg Chebbi, a 50km long and 5km wide set of sand dunes that reach up to 350m. Most people are here to take a camel safari into the dunes, and to get a taste of remote (tourism-influenced) Berber life.




From Marrakech, the biggest city in Morocco, it will take about 2 days journey to reach Merzouga. And once you are there, its Sahara Desert wonderland! The beautiful sight of the sun rising and setting in dunes is great!



As mentioned earlier, the must do thing over there is camel safaris, where they take you on a camel ride into the sand dunes and live in tents for a night or two. Then when you are there, you blend with some of the locals, and maybe get to see the local performances and etc.


**********************

Although I’ve never heard of these places before, but being brought there by Wikitravel made me more knowledgeable and also piqued my interest for these 2 places. I guess the wealth of information available at our fingertips is just not used to its fullest potential.

Now I’m looking forward to the next time I visit Wikitravel when I’m bored.
I could be transported halfway around the world again! 



Boodyboy, out!!!

No comments: