Wednesday, August 18, 2010

KL - Singapore Express Buses



I Like Singapore, its a great place for a quick getaway, out of my own country. If their currency wasnt so strong, I would love to be there more often than I do now. When I want to go Singapore, I always have to choose the method of getting there. Should I drive, fly or take a bus?
Well, today I'll be discussing on the Express bus option.

With the skies open ing up for budget airlines like Tiger Airways, Jetstar, Airasia and Firefly, one might wonder why is there a need for us to take a bus to Singapore?

After all, a flight would take at most an hour, checking in at a maximum of 1 hour before departure time. All in all, 2 hours max, and you are already in Singapore.

I've not taken the flight to Singapore before but I've taken the express bus to Singapore a few times already. My reason for taking the bus is that, it is too costly to get a cab to the airport. From my place, it takes about 40 minutes to an hour to reach KLIA / LCCT / Subang. That., coupled with checking in 1 hour before departure time and an hours flight. The cost savings would be negated for me. Unless of course I have some1 who is willing to send me and pick me up from the airport.

I also kinda dislike taking the KL Sentral - LCCT bus option, cause I still need to get to KL Sentral on my own 1st, which is a hassle. If I could find a person to send me to KL Sentral...

Oh wait, this shall not be a rant post. The purpose of this post is to introduce the options a person has when deciding to take a bus to Singapore (and vice versa)

There are of course many express bus operators in Malaysia, but I'll only be covering the few with the VIP/Executive option, meaning about 30 seats per bus. LInks to the respective bus companies are provided =)

1st up, Aeroline. I've taken this bus many years ago when they first started. being a kid back then, it was such an excitement to sit on a "VIP" express bus. I've also taken this bus to Singapore last year as well. As far as I'm concerned its a pretty comfy ride. They have a few places where you can catch them. KL City Centre, Sunway Pyramid, 1 Utama, Mines Shopping Centre are the few I can think of. Prices vary due to seasonality and location. The one from Mines (which is pretty near my home) starts as low as RM50 1 way.

Five Star Coach is next up. They have one of the most impressive buses ever seen on this route. They have an 18 seater bus! Never tried them before, but it looks pretty damn impressive. Do check them out.

First Coach is a simple, no frills VIP Express bus to Singapore. You must be wondering how does a VIP bus be no frills? Well what it means is just that they are more spacious e.g. about 30 seats. No frills meaning other than a bottle of mineral water and a bun, you get nothing else. They depart from 3 places in KL: Bangsar LRT, Subang and One Utama. I've taken their bus before its it isnt too shabby at all. Comfy seats... I dont need the extra drinks and others since i sleep most of the time anyway.

NiCE Executive coaches are also an option. They depart from the KTMB building in KL and have frequent trips down South. They also have the same service for up North: Ipoh, Kuantan and Penang.

Last but not least, there is Airebus. They depart from Midvalley (somewhere around the Garden's Entrance) and arrive near the Genting Resort in Singapore. Price wise not too expensive but I've not seen the inside of te bus. But heck, its an Executive bus anyway.

Well this is all I can think of at the moment people. There could be a few more operators plying this route, but I may not know of them. DO inform me about them, and also your experiences with any of these firms.

With that said, Happy travelling to Singapore / Welcome to Malaysia!


Boodyboy, out!!!

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

Don't you also have to make your way to the bus depot if you want to take a bus to Singapore? LOL. Assuming you get cheap flight tickets, I don't see the big difference between a bus and a flight.

Boodyboy said...

hehehe
Sherrie, almost all of these buses depart from a shopping centre, so its kinda convenient. PLus, for me lah, since i live in Kajang, getting to any of the shopping centres is easier than going to the airport.

Bus From Singapore to Penang & Malacca said...

I love Singapore express bas