Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Games we played

Well, this spawned from the previous post, where I was talking about the toys I had when i was a kid.

Thinking about it, I had less toys, but I played more games definitely. I dont have pictures for all the games I played when i was young, but I'll try to show as much as I can while giving a simple explanation of how the game worked. I played these games through my Kampung Aman squatter days thru primary school in SSG.

Lets move on shall we?



1st up is the game of Guli! I dont remember where all my marbles went (pun intended), but I do seriously wish to get some and keep them as memorabilia.

We used to put a few gulis each into a circle and we would stand some distance away from the circle and threw our marbles into the circle, trying to hot and knock more marbles out of the circle. The marbles that went out of the circle was ours to keep :-D

The other way of playing would be a 1 on 1 knock off format where players will try to knock out all the other opponents marbles out of the circle. I can tell you that guli is definitely not one of my best games, as i had a pretty poor eyesight since i was a kid.




Batu Seremban (or 5 stones) was a game I used to play indoors when the days were too hot or when its raining. We played with 5 little pouches filled with rice or beans. I used to remember my mother stiching the pouches for me and my sister to play. it was a game of tossing and picking the pouches in a systematic manner and with varying difficulty stages.

While I had clumsy hands, I was (and hopefully still am) better than my sister, but definitely worse than the girls i used to play with in school. Now if only I could find those little bean bags...




Hopsctoch any1? Back in Primary school, we used to steal the teacher's chalk so we could draw hopscotch boxes on the ground.

We'd place our markers on the ground and skipped according to the numbered boxes and every time we completed a lap, we pick up our marker and tossed it to the next box. Then we would skip thru all the boxes axcept the 1 with our markers in it.

I wasn't very good at this game either due to the fact that i was almost always the shortest kid in class, and hence couldnt jump to the furthest boxes =(




Next up: Getah. The way my school played this game was slightly different from those I watched on TV. The one I played was where I had to jump and step on the getah. After each successful jump and step on the getah, it gets higher and higher until you cant do it anymore.
Very much different from the more popular rope skipping. This was more like high jump with getah ;-p

And due to my height and my lack of flexibility, i too sucked at this game. I'm sure at this point, you must be wondering, is Boodyboy any good at any of the games here at all? ;-p



Yes, I also played with lastik, not the ones of these variety though. I never liked using these lastik to aim at birds and etc. We used to use a rubberband and made a "V" shape with 2 fingers and that was our lastik. Our bullets were carefully folded pieces of paper which we would use to shoot at each other. We'd split into teams and start shooting at each other.


Yeah it was painful, it stung a whole lot, but it was definitely fun. I guess i was good at it until one fine day i realised that If i were careless and shot my friend in the eye, he could go blind. Then i guess i decided not to play that game any more.



Now onto games where i can't find pictures to show the game.



Pepsi cola was a game where the players stood around in a circle. We'd then take 4 steps back while shouting "Pepsi Cola!". Being a few feet apart from each other, the aim of the game was to kick the others person's feet. You take turn attacking the other person in either a clockwise or anti clockwise manner. Once your legs has been hit by your attacker you're out of the game.



This elimination process goes on until only 1 player remains. I could say i was pretty good at this. The game required pretty quick reflexes to avoid kicks as well as being fast enough to hit your opponent's leg. I can tell you, this was one of the games that cost me and my friends a lot of school shoes ;-p



Another game I'd like to share is bottle caps. You need 5 bottle caps to paly this and you basically spin them apart, take one cap out and try to use a bottle cap to hit another to complate a pair. Once done, you stack them and "timbang" it to see how many point you will get. This game can last as long as you want, the guy with the most points wins.



A great game which tests one's accuracy and "angles". Maths skills and a are also required when doing timbang as you need to tally your score as you timbang. I was pretty good at this too! ;-D

I'd love to share more games like: those small cards we stacked and try to hit them with our hands so they'd flip over (dont know the name of the game), ice cream stick game, eraser game, police and thief (which somehow evolved into formula 1 style police and thief later on), eagle and chicken, kunda kundi (digging a stick up while and batter tries to whack the stick that has been flipped up) and many more.



And all these are in addition to our regular football, basketball volleyball games i played in school!



Do you remember any of these games? Or played a different version of them?





Boodyboy, out!!!

No comments: