Saturday, June 12, 2010

FIFA World Cup 2010 : My Prediction for Day 2

Though I'm not exactly a football pundit, and no1 will probably read any of this stuff, but I' dstill like to put up a few cents worth here. 3 matches on tonight. Malaysian / Singapore times : 7.30pm, 10pm and 2am.

Group B: South Korea vs Greece

South Korea and Greece both have a fully fit squad. In terms of rankings, it doesnt differ much either due to the fact that they dont have much international competitions to enter. However, I do have a feeling (yes its a gut feeling) that being Asia power houses, they are a team with more confidence than Greece. Greece didn't do well at all in the previous Euro Championships while South Korea usually dominate the Asian teams they play against. South Korea have also peformed better than the Greeks in previous friendly matches (I kinda base my predictions on their last few friendly matches)

All other things being equal, I would give the edge to Korea in this match. Narrow margin of victory maybe 1-0, 2-1 or a draw if the Greeks can hold off the Koreans.


Group B: Argentina vs Nigeria

On paper, this looks like an easy game for the Argies (one of the favourites for the title). I would agree, if Argentina play to their strength. No doubt that they have performed well in recent friendlies against weak opposition. Well Nigerians are strong as a collective unit, I think the Argies have too much in them and should be able to overpower their African opposition tonight.

My only reservation is with Argentina's coach, Maradona. While he maybe the 2nd most famous player in the world (behind Pele, some would disagree with me), I don't think he has enough experience to manage his country. Granted, if things do go well and he gets his tactics right; there is no doubt Argentina are strong favourites to reach the Final.

My prediction would be for Argentina to win by 2 goals. 3 goals, if Nigeria go all out attacking to try and salvage the game. With Messi, Milito and Tevez on form, there will definitely be goals in this team.


Group C: England vs United States

This should be a close match to follow as most of us Malaysians follow the Premier League closely. We know the England players very well and how they play. However, they have not done well in recent friendlies. United States are no better, but they have a very hardworking team. But still, man for man, the English should have enough advantage over the Americans.

But how well England play would depend on their formation. While Fabio Capello favours the 4-4-2 formation, I would love to see England play 4-5-1 if they truly want to make full use of Wayne Rooney. Wayne plays his best this year for Man Utd this year when they played 4-5-1.
With Gerrard in the support role (like how he plays with Torres in Liverpool), and Lampard in his usual attacking role for Chelsea (Chelsea plays in a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 formation), I think England should do well.

England to win this game by 2 goals.


I will try to do this everyday, if possible and see if my predictions turn out right ;-p



Boodyboy, out!!

2 comments:

Wayne - World Cup Tips said...

Most of the side has or does play in the English Premiership and know their opposition like the back of their hands, this is a factor again I believe the bookies are under estimating when I saw the pricing of this game.

England are a classy side but given how organised America are and the lack of fear they have towards England, we could see another famous result for the US.

However come the end of the game I believe that it will be Capello’s side will just have too much as the English depart Rustenburg with a small marginal victory very likely.

Boodyboy said...

Agreed. I do feel that the English still have a bit more about them than the Americans.

Let's see how it turns out in a few hours time ;-)