Tuesday, June 15, 2010

FIFA World Cup 2010 : My Prediction for Day 5

Got 2 out of 3 right again. The Japan result was a surprise. I expected Italy to do better, but being a Italian fan, I knew a draw was coming.

The Dutch disappointed despite winning by 2 goals. The match was a bore despite both being attacking minded teams.

Here are my prediction for tonight’s matches.


Group F: Slovenia vs New Zealand

A game to decide who will end up at the bottom of the group. Italy and Paraguay are favourites to qualify, leaving these 2 to fight for face-saving rights.

I’d tip Slovenians to win this game 2-0 partly because I think the Kiwis do not have the sufficient strength in depth for the World Cup. The only reason they are here is because Australia left Oceania region to compete under the Asian banner.


Group G: Brazil vs North Korea (DPRK)

North Koerans are an unknown side in this tournament. All their players play inside the country. And the few glimpses have been in friendlies. They are a very very hardworking side, but against Brazil, it will be difficult.

I tip Brazil to win this by either 3 or 4 goals. They have the teamwork and firepower. My only reservation is whether coach Dunga will allow his team to go all out attacking when they have control of the game.


Group G: Portugal vs Cote D’Ivoire

The Ivorians are still the strongest African team in my opinion, even without injured Drogba. But without him, their task is definitely much tougher. Another hardworking team here with lots of stamina. Portugal have not played well in previous friendlies and their performances have not been encouraging at all. Ronaldo will be out to prove a point that this tournament is not the Lionel Messi show. I think both these teams are pretty evenly matched.

I think its is highly likely that this match would be a score draw, 1-1, 2-2 wont surprise me. However, I do think a moment of brilliance for Ronaldo will allow Portugal to sneak this as well.


Boodyboy, out!!

No comments: