Friday, June 11, 2010

FIFA World Cup 2010, South Africa: My favourites




Yes, tonight is the night the quest for the most prized trophy in world football begins. This is the stage where dreams are made. Kids playing football on the street dream of this their whole life.




The last edition of the World Cup was won by Italy (also my favourite team since i was in secondary school). Who will win the Jules Rimet trophy this time around?



My top two picks are Spain and Brazil.


Spain have been the form team ever since they won Euro 2008. And I see that trend continuing. The team is roughly about the same as the one that won Euro 2008. They play with the same style and have the same manager. THey have the teamwork and understanding. They have also performed well in recent friendlies.


Brazil is my 2nd choice to win, because, well, they are Brazil. However, this brazil team isn't like previous Brazillian teams. This team wins it ugly, and if you are lucky, sometimes beautifully. Coached by Dunga, a world cup winning captain himself; the team seems to be moulded in the same way he played (He was a defensive midfielder). They've got a good team all round and Brazillian players always seem to be able to work well together eventhough most of them are based in different nations.


My 3rd choice, however, would be the Dutch. They've been playing really well and have some really good players with the squad this time around. With Bert van marwick as coach I think the team is a cohesive unit. They qualified in style and in recent friendlies, played with style as well.

However, all my top 3 picks play on the same side of the draw. Which would mean that there wont be a dream final for me of Brazil vs Spain. But what it means is that the team that wins the semi finals on this side of the draw will be my favourtie to take the title.



What's your pick?





Boodyboy, out!


No comments: